The 8th Wonder of the World
Most people are not even familiar with what the first 7 are, even though we use the expression all the time.
Actually, you have a choice.
If you prefer the “Ancient” 7 Wonders of the World, you have the Great Pyramid of Egypt, the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, which you should stop by and see next time you’re in Iraq, and of course, the ever popular Mausoleum of Halicanassus.
Don’t like the “Ancient” ones? Then you can pick from the not so ancient ones like the Taj Mahal, the Great Wall of China or the Coliseum (the one in Rome, not Los Angeles).
Of course, there’s always the 7 “Natural” Wonders such as the Grand Canyon and Mount Everest or the “Manmade” Wonders such as the Brooklyn Bridge, the Chunnel or the London Sewage System (you can’t make this stuff up).
In total, there are almost 50 different “Wonders” that have made it onto one of several official 7 Wonders lists.
But what single item should qualify as the EIGHTH Wonder of the World? Allow me to suggest a few:
1. The World - the Universe and all it contains.
2. A Newborn Child - understanding that it developed from two individual half-cells into a functioning body of 10 trillion cells at the time of birth.
3. A Fruit Seed - containing not only the billions of instructions it needs to develop roots, a tree with branches, leaves and fruit but also all of the apparatus to accomplish it.
4. Food - the fact that there are 7 billion people in the world, 90% of whom eat every day and the Earth has not run out of meat, fish, poultry, water, apples, wheat and chocolate.
5. The Human Mind - with its ability to interpolate, extrapolate, innovate, create, remember, forget, reason, control and emote.
6. E=mc2 - the formula that helped unlock one of the secrets of the Universe and changed the course of mankind and history.
7. The Higgs Boson - not because anyone really knows what it is, what it does or what it means but because it hints at the existence of a Super Being Creator Who obviously knew what He was doing all along.
8. My Children. And my Wife. Not necessarily in that order.
Subscribe to our blog via email or RSS to get more posts like this one.